02 January 2011

consistently inconsistent

Original art by Richard H. Dawson. All rights reserved. 

Know thyself, right? That's why this blog is called Fitful Starts. I do know myself. I've done some work in that department and I consider it a lifelong labor of love.

Year in and year out, one thread running through my life is that I have always been consistently inconsistent. Not in every way (uh, thank goodness). Character and values? I am solid as a rock, rarely wavering. In other areas of my life, well, let's just say, look for me where the wind blows. When it comes to my daily habits and personal creative passions, I often just follow my mood or inspiration, or equally as often, what ends up being my lack of inspiration. I've always just laughed it off as a Gemini thing: part of me wants to do one thing, another part of me wants to do something different... but then (and here's the rub) eventually I find I've done neither. But forget resolutions... they are more likely to be disappointments made in advance (especially for a Gemini).

I truly savor the pensive nature of this time of year. It's a season in itself, this changing of the calendar, and it's one of my very favorite seasons. It strikes me as a time of steeping or brewing. It's not lost on me that the purpose of steeping or brewing is to make stronger, richer, more flavorful.

As I reflect on the past, present and future, what I most want to focus on this year is being more consistently consistent -- in pursuit of what makes me feel happy and alive: creating, blogging, thrifting and treasure hunting, reading and writing, being outdoors and time spent with family and friends. In short, I am striving towards more time spent connecting-- with myself, nature and others.

Now that doesn't sound like a horrible assignment for the new year, does it?

No comments:

Post a Comment